Sunday 12 June 2016

Drawing Tutorial: How to Draw Manga Style Heads

Hey Guys!

Today I'm going to be explaining to you (what I think is) an easy and simple way to draw manga style heads. But before we start, just a quick disclaimer: If this system looks the same as some other artists demonstrate, that's probably because it is! It's also the way that I learned do it and it massively helped me, so hopefully it'll help you all too. And I've done this so often now that I no longer need to use this, but if your a beginner this'll help - trust me.

In this picture I've done three different heads to show you how to draw male, female and children's heads. Let's get started!


What you'll need:

1x Piece of normal paper (anything will do just as long as it's not to thin)
1x HB pencil (I use Staedtler)
1x Ruler (this one's kneadable, but any normal one will do)
1x Eraser (again mine's Staedtler)
1x Glass or compass (to make a circle)
1x Pen (for inking - a Faber Castel sizes S and F)















So first draw a circle using either a compass or a glass.














Next draw a line down the centre of the circle splitting it down the middle.













Now it's time to add the jawline. First make a little line below the circle to mark the bottom of the jaw line; for a childs head the mark should be 1/3rd of the length of the original circle, for a females head the mark should be 1/2 of the length and finally for a males head the mark should be 2/3rds of the length of the circle. 



To draw the jawline itself your going to need to draw curved lines on each side of the circle leading to the line you just drew. For a male's head (far left) bring a line down from each side of the circle tilting inward slightly and then join them together with a diagonal line. For a females head the jawline is softer so just do the same as you would've done with the males just less defined and the same for a child's.




Also if you want you can also add a neck to your head as well. Children's necks are quite small compared to the head. A females neck is elegant and curves in slightly before curving out again. A males neck is quite stout and thick.














To finish of the piece I've added some hair (which I'll hopefully be doing a tutorial on soon!).














And finally I inked in everything, going over the pencil first with my S pen and then I went over some of the lines again with my slightly thicker F pen for effect and erased out the pencil.















Anyway, I hope you guys all found this tutorial helpful and/or useful. I hope is was detailed enough - I'm still new to this writing thing, so I'm still learning!

See you next week!

Amethyst<3xx


















No comments:

Post a Comment